Your bedroom should be an oasis where you can find a little peace at the end of the day. Creating an organized and clutter-free bedroom can result in an environment that is more conducive to restful sleep. Clutter can overstimulate your brain, making it more difficult for it to switch to a restful state. Maintaining this stress- and clutter-free environment can be a struggle, but it is well worth the time and effort. Consider the following tips on how to declutter your room and keep it clutter-free.
Regular Clean Sweeps
Make it a habit to declutter 3-5 times a week for 5-10 minutes or once a week for 30 minutes. Identify the 5-10 minutes that work best for you (i.e., right before your shower in the evening or after your workout) or which day you will spend 30 minutes on decluttering (perhaps Sunday evening after the kids are in bed). Each week, identify the area that you will focus on that day, such as the dresser or your bedside table. Before you start, grab a catch-all bin to gather items that don’t belong in that area, and, once the area is organized, deliver the items in your bin to where they belong and put the bin away too. Be sure to go through the nightstand and dresser drawers.
Organize Your Closet
Hang items up, fold and put away sweaters and jeans, pair up your shoes, and make sure all the drawers can be closed. Place empty hangers in a central location for easy access. Consider grouping items by function (i.e., tops, bottoms, blazers) and then by color. Streamlining your wardrobe will help you choose an outfit more easily, thus getting you out the door more quickly.
Thin Out the Closet
- Pack away out-of-season clothes. Click here for some tips on how to store off-season clothing.
- Remove anything that doesn’t fit or that you haven’t worn in the past year. Throw out shoes that are worn out or are never worn. Consider donating items that are in good shape.
- Don’t forget your sock and underwear drawer, tossing out anything with holes or items that are tattered and worn out.
Contain the Clutter
If you find that items tend to accumulate on certain surfaces in your bedroom, place decorative trays, bowls, and baskets that match the rest of your décor in these areas. Keeping surfaces free of individual items by containing items in pretty containers will keep your room looking tidy.
Invest in Furniture with Storage
Furniture with built-in storage can add much-needed space if you run out of space in closets and cabinets. It provides an alternative that can complement your bedroom décor. An upholstered bench at the end of your bed can hold extra linens or towels or anything else that needs a home. If you have an abundance of decorative pillows on your bed, this space can be used to store them overnight.
Storage Units Can Free Up Your Space
If you’re wanting to know how to declutter your room, one of the most important steps is to clear out things that don’t belong in a bedroom. If you are running low on storage space, you might consider a storage unit for those items that aren’t used on a regular basis. Records, seasonal items such as an artificial Christmas tree and outdoor decorations, nostalgic items such as vintage jewelry, off-season clothing and gear, and items to sell are all good candidates for storing in a storage unit. Moving these items out of your home space frees that space up for those items you frequently use; it can also free up space to create that crafting nook you have always wanted.
Tips on How to Declutter Your Room Successfully
- You may need to adjust how to declutter your room several times before you find a routine that works for you. Don’t be discouraged!
- Remind yourself that this will not be done in one day. Experts recommend that doing a little bit at a time is best and will help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- In addition to spending a scheduled and set amount of time, consider dividing your room into small sections and focusing your time on one section at a time, moving on to the next section only when the prior section is completed to your satisfaction. By seeing success in one area before moving on to another, you will build up momentum.
A self-storage unit at Chamber Connector Storage can help you achieve your goal to declutter your room and home. They offer easily accessible and affordable storage units, keeping your items safe and protected from damage or loss. Contact Chamber Connector Storage to find out more.